November 11, 2009

The First Moment

Hello readers. This is the inaugural post to my blog "Moment to Moment." I'll explain the reason for the title in, well, a moment. But for now, a little background on the motivation for the blog. Like many others out there, I happen to suffer from depression, anxiety, and bipolar illness (bipolar II in my case). And each of us has his or her own story to tell about how we live with illnesses like these. This blog is about my own story. There are many things I hope to write about - here's a list of tentative topics I hope to touch on in future posts.
* Underlying reasons for mental illness (biochemical and experiential)
* Cognitive therapy/Neuroplasticity
* How mental illness affects family and friends
* The need for support systems
* Suicide
* Basic things one can do to feel better
* Sharing your status with coworkers or boss
And now, before I close, the reason for the name of the blog, "Moment to Moment." This is the way I have to fight the illness, a moment at a time, the smallest step at a time. A step might be getting out of bed, or rephrasing a negative thought into a positive thought. This is how I take it. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Kudos on new beginnings. A blog is just a symbolic statement of taking on the world in a whole new way. Of opening yourself to vulnerability and new opportunites of relationship. Can't wait to see where this takes you! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere.

    There are online blogs for every interest and area. I tend towards the sports and educational areas. Of course, my sports blog tends to ramble in and out of questions like philosophy and psychology. I'm eager to see what direction yours will go to.

    ReplyDelete